Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Birds of Ashe County and The Giving Tree

I put some bird feeders out last week and, of course, bought some bird seed...three kinds of it. I really didn't know what kind of seeds certain birds may enjoy, so I just made a selection. I assumed they had their likes and dislikes. Anyway, it's now out and the birds are having a feast!

One of the places I put a specially-built feeder, a little house without walls but a roof, was on the stump of a very old tree that was in my front yard. That old tree was sort of like the story from the children's book, The Giving Tree. How many years had its beauty given happiness to people who could marvel at its enormous size and stately look!

Sadly, I had to have that beautiful tree cut down last year; it was getting rotten and a huge limb had fallen very close to my house. But I asked the folks who cut it down (It took three days!) to leave the stump, a large one at that! It was sort of like that giving tree.

So today the birds are sharing in the feast of the bird feed I put out for them in the Giving Tree bird feeder. They can rest safely on that old stump in the little house and know that probably someone is watching them and enjoying it as much as the beauty the old tree once had for all of us who sat on the front porch and marveled.

Have a great day! Plant a tree. Feed a bird....

Doc

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home